The word euthanasia comes with many heavy emotions. The word “euthanasia” by definition means “good death." Veterinarians are the only medical professionals that are licensed to perform this service and the veterinarians at Animal Angels feel it is a gift that we can provide to your beloved four-legged family member.
When an Animal Angels veterinarian arrives at your home:
1. We will answer any questions you have and go over the procedure in as little or as much detail as you feel comfortable with. We are comfortable friends and family of all ages being present. We will also allow video presence for friends and family out of town. We respectfully request no recordings or photos without permission.
2. We will administer an injectable form of combination medications in a muscle that will provide sedation and relieve your pet’s pain and anxiety, allowing them to relax. This process can take approximately 10-15 mins.
3. Once your pet is relaxed we will give an injection of euthanasia solution by vein access. This solution is an overdose of anesthetic that will place your pet under general anesthesia leading to a peaceful passing in their sleep. This process usually takes a few seconds.
4. We will confirm your pets passing and then allow you to have as much time as you need with them. In this time we will prepare a keepsake clay paw print and a hair clipping if desired.
5. If you plan on cremating your pet we will give you some alone time to say any last goodbyes, then return with a basket or flat stretcher with soft blankets to transport your pet to the car.
We are happy to discuss how to bury your pet properly in your backyard, if that is the option you have chosen for aftercare.
We will notify your family veterinarian of your pet’s passing unless you wish otherwise. This is a professional courtesy so they can keep their records up to date.